Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Carson's autopsy results...

A little over an hour ago we got a call from Dr. Batig that Carson's autopsy results were in. Carson did in fact have a large case of Gastroschisis and his liver was also outside of his body. They also checked his heart and found that the aorta was coming off to the right side of the heart instead of the left. Other than that his heart was perfectly fine. If Carson would have been born alive he would not have needed any surgery on his heart and he would not have had any problems from it. Since they found out that I get blood clots when I'm pregnant they looked for clots. They didn't find any large clots in the placenta or umbilical cord. Dr. Batig did say that there could have been a series of small clots though. His cause of death is still unknown. They weren't able to pin point anything that caused it for sure. Our doctor believes that it was a combination of the sevre case of Gastroschisis and the blood clotting. Now for the good news! Nothing that Carson had was genetic and it was just something sparatic that happened, and it wont happen again. Also since they know about my blood clotting they'll be monitoring me very closely when I do get pregnant again. I'll have lots of appointments and ultrasounds and be put on blood thinners to prevent clots and reduce the risk of a misscarriage since I have a 25% chance of having one with every pregnancy. Hopefully being monitored so closely will help me to feel a little better and I wont stress out as much! Dr. Batig is setting up an appointment for us with a genetic counselor so they can discuss the autopsy results in more detail with us and hopefully we'll get even more information then. After getting off the phone with him I feel like I have a 100 questions now that I didn't think of until I hung up. I'll have to ask them when we go see the genetic counselor or when I go back to see Dr. Batig on the 29th. Well I just wanted to update everyone. Hopefully God will bless us with a healthy baby VERY soon!! WE LOVE YOU CARSON!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: